Sunday, January 18, 2015

Until Next Time

My last day in Kenya was filled with appreciation. Sometimes life gets moving too quickly to take the time to really appreciate all the little things that make each day special. I was able to appreciate how welcomed I had become at my little hotel in Kitengela. On the first day, strange faces would peek in through the door of the conference room while I wrote my blog and stare at me without saying a word. I would ask if it is ok that I was there, they would say I am "most welcome", then continue to stare, so I would continue to write. I attributed this strange behavior  to them possibly never hosting a muzungu (white person) before. But as the week went on, I learned their names, met their families, heard stories about their lives, and became "sweetheart" by the time I had left.

When Kevin and I got to Empakasi School, I took a moment to look up from the construction work and appreciate the beauty of where I was. When my eyes focused in on the horizon, I saw three giraffes, a group of zebras and a wildebeest all grazing together. A few local massai boys that were helping with the construction asked if I wanted to get a closer look, so we headed through the savannah to go take pictures of the animals. On our way we found a gazelle horn and each of the boys got their turn to play with the camera and take pictures.

Unfortunately, I left Kenya before school resumed. For over 2 weeks the teachers had been on strike, fighting for higher pay. It is not wrong that they came together to fight for their rights, but it is too bad that it is at the expense of each student. I am here, fighting for the right to education. So every student can come to school and have the tools to reach their full potential.  My hope is that our work here not only gives these students the tool they need, but is a tangible reminder of the importance of education.


1 comment:

  1. How amazing to see what you are helping to build and what a moment to see the giraffes & zebra! WOW! Stay safe you pretty thing and here's to great things in Uganda! :)

    ReplyDelete